Monday, April 9, 2007

Asceticism and the Environment (Intermission and Roadmap)

When I started to write about this, I fully intended to finish the entire series before Holy Pascha, but, alas!, I am not perfect and have barely begun. I will try to do better. But, in the interest of getting things going again and, figuring that it's easier to write an outline than fully flesh out an idea, I thought I'd give a sort of short road map of what I plan to write about:

Part II: A restatement of the problem and a defense of the possibility of ascetical environmentalism

Part III: On the traditional Christian understanding of Creation (as I understand it and as best as I can express it in a blog post).

Part IV: On the traditional Christian understanding of Asceticism (as I understand it and as best as I can express it in a blog post).

Part V: Practical reasons for fasting as an ecological act

Part VI: Mystical and Theological reasons for fasting as an ecological act

Part VII: Interesting Examples

Part VIII (optional): Unspecified closing remarks


I was actually planning to devote an entire post just to asceticism and its relations to birds, but decided that would be too much and anyway 8 Parts is probably enough.

So, that is the plan anyway.

No comments: