Saturday, July 7, 2007

Fashion ethics, Film, Omar Khayyam pastiche, & the South Hills


I know this sort of breaks my rule against self promotion, but it is for a good cause, and it is kind of funny.

I am now on a t-shirt (pictured). It's for my friend Lucas's film production company. You can buy one, too, if you want, and the details are here:

http://dpressproductions.com/filme.html

I felt obliged to purchase one, but it brings up an ethical dilemma: should one wear a t-shift with one's own face on it. I also contributed a bit of verse to help promote the things. To wit:
Rubaiyat

a bottle of wine, a book of verse,
wandering the south hills (and how!)
wearing a "un filme" t-shirt:
a t-shirt is happiness for now...
Ok, so maybe I'm not destined to be an ad-man. But we do our best.

The t-shirt is based upon the film L'attante (from January 2006). You can watch it here:

http://dpressproductions.com/l'attente.html

Or, you can see it along with Lucas' new film and the musical brilliance of Mr. Jerome Wincek this coming thursday in Dormont. Details here:

http://dpressproductions.com/gravida.html

9 comments:

Lucas said...

so you spelled "wear" as "where"

of course, your face is only slightly on it, dark and lurking in the background...so i say you wear it. perhaps people will mistake you for a celebrity

Jo Custer said...

guys, um...you misspelled the shirt.

unless you're sporting some sort of inside joke, it's "un film" ... not "filme"

Lucas said...

that's how Truffaut spelled it, and that's good enough for me

Jo Custer said...

more like an intern. which film?

Matthew said...

I'm just the messenger, so I'm staying out of this.

Besides, I don't speak Freedom.

Lucas said...

off-hand i don't remember

Jo Custer said...

the only thought i had about this -- yawningly, last night -- was that in the digital age, a snafu like that is less likely to occur because film was so expensive and time consuming.

i suppose there's something to be said for the charm of old-fashioned ways.

Jo Custer said...

p.s. matt: i love that you titled that 'rubayait', and one day i may even find the words to tell you why

Cheers...and no harm, no foul.

Dave said...

Personally, I think it's okay to wear a t-shirt with a barely recognizable picture of yourself ... that hardly qualifies as self-promotion in my book. At least you're not yet to the point of wearing one with your children's picture.